Saturday, August 30, 2014

Day 48 - Phelps Wisconsin To Sagaola Michigan

I'm trying to get caught up with my blog post. Due to the weather, friends and no cell battery I have gotten behind. So some of this may blend a couple of days together.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Phelps Wisconsin: Small town big heart.
I left Ron and Joanne's about 6:30 this morning with a light rain falling.

The Northwoods Restaurant was the best option for breakfast,  so I stopped in.
I was the only guests in the restaurant this early but Nancy still had a full buffet ready for the crowd when they arrived.
It was awesome!  I had 6 pancakes 4 sausage links, hash browns, corn beef hash, toast, two helpings of scrambled eggs and coffee. I think I'm going to write a book about the "All you can eat diet". All you have to do is ride a heavy bike all day, everyday. I guess my bike and gear are around 75 to 80 pounds now. It varies a little from day to day with food supplies.

Nancy was fun to talk to while I was eating. On the way out she gave me a shirt from the restaurant so I could remember my visit to Phelps. What a nice lady to meet.

The rain let up during the day but the black clouds didn't look good for the night. So at about the fifty mile mark I started looking for a home. I knew that tonight was going to be a night for stealth camping because there were not any towns near by. Some of the towns up here are just a gas station and post office.

About 4 miles out of Sagaola I found the spot! It was a community park with no community around...Perfect!  I waited till dark before setting up your tent just in case someone came by.  Ony one objection was voiced about my stay. A small squirrel was not happy AT ALL! He fussed at me till finally he wore himself out and moved on.  Setting up the tent in a pavilion is always nice. But tonight it was great!  About 3 this morning the storms rolled in. I even got a little wet under the pavilion and it was a big roof.

Pics:

Me with Nancy

Morning rain in Phelps

Water stop 

Crossing the river into Michigan

Whooping Cranes

Home under the pavilion



No comments:

Post a Comment