Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day 37 - Sabin to Pelican Rapids MN

I enjoyed my night in Sabin. The fire station captain came by this morning just to make sure everything was good last night.

I stopped by the General Store on the way out of town and had breakfast and enjoyed getting to talk to the lady running the place. They have over 600 types of bottled sodas in the store.

It's nice being in the land of 10,000 lakes. North Dakota is a beautiful place but it's nice to see the country side here.

Today was a day of meeting and greeting. I had a blast.

Just outside of Cormorant of stopped to talk to Willie Gartner and his granddaughter. What a pleasure to meet him. Willie had a bike and peddle buggy rental in Fargo ND for awhile. He was outside his home working on some of them for future sale.

Not too much farther down the road, I saw a young couple and their daughter launching a beautiful little sail boat and stopped again to chat. They were actually from the Seattle area and we're here at their parents cabin for the summer.
They invited me to stay with them. Tonight's dinner was going to be beer can chicken.

I wanted to but I felt like I need to make it a little further down the road. I regretted that decision later. The miles are not that important. How many times do you get the chance to stay with a nice couple on a beautiful lake cabin in Minnesota. I won't make that mistake again.

I rolled into Pelican Rapids about 5PM. It's another great spot. I'm sharing a camp site with Steve Joyce from Fargo. Steve had the best spot on the lake so I asked him if there was room for one more. We had a good time talking. Steve went above and beyond by sharing his steak and grilled Zucchini. It was awesome!

We'll see how far I get tomorrow. Great people, great places...going to soak it in.

Pics:
Fire station in Sibley

General Store in Sibley

Willie and his granddaughter

Helicopter crop dusting

Pelican Rapids camp site

Worlds largest Pelican

Shower time.... If there's room I bring everything in when I'm in a town.


4 comments:

  1. Have A GreatRide Durell! Nice To Have Met You! -Steve From Fargo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have met you too Steve. Take care.

      Delete
  2. You're confusing me now! I looked up the 2 websites you gave us, but you're not going that way...how did you wind up in Pelican Rapids? And I have an old Atlas, but Bowlus, MN isn't on it. I already had Fergus Falls & Alexandria highlighted on the centrallakestrail, lakewobegontrail site since I thought that was the rail/bike trail you had chosen.

    Hope your next postings set me straight. MN sure is pretty & I'm sad, too, you passed on the beer can chicken. Never had any of that, sounds delish, tho the steak and grilled zucchini sounded good, too. All a far cry from the hot dogs & spam we ate on camp outs! Stay safe, Mama Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan,
      It may be me that's confused. I may be another one of my short cuts.

      Delete