Monday, August 25, 2014

Day 43- Osceola to Cumberland Wisconsin

I came into Osceola  for the second time. It's really a neat town. There is a beautiful waterfall in town that reminds me of waterfalls back home.

Quiet country roads today, perfect Americana Farms, cool and breezy. I won't talk about which the breeze is blowing. I think you already know:)

I had planned to stop in Cumberland Wisconsin when I started this morning but not sure about the camping spots.
I was at the local grocery and looking at my maps when a guy (Ed) stopped to ask me about my trip.

Well it wasn't long before Ed had invited me to stay with him and his wife at their cabin on the lake. I jumped at the offer. We put my bike in the back of his cool Chevy Suburban and headed for the cabin.

When we arrived I met his wife Jane. She was preparing an awesome lasagna and steamed Brocoli dinner. Oh, and some Chicken Mushrooms from their yard.
For dessert Jane made some homemade Strawberry Ice cream. ( Life on the road is rough):)

It was great sitting and talking to Ed and Jane. I tired to talk them into getting bikes and hitting the road.

After dinner I went to my tent and settled down for the night. It wasn't long before the wind, rain and lightning started. I learned quickly after storm in Washington to make sure my tent is super secure if there is even a chance of storms. I had it staked, tied to two big rocks and a bench. (Let the winds blow)  This REI Quarter dome is great. Not a drop of rain inside.

I was sleeping good after the wind and lightning stopped. That is until the first howling started. We're not talking little Muffy howling because the ambulance hurts her little ears.

It was Timber Wolves! What an eerie and wonderful sound. I wanted you to hear it.

Here is the sound I heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNR877AHJAc

There was one that sounded close and others that sounded further off in the distance. It was kind of cool and scary at the same time. (I've watched Jeremiah Johnson too many times).

I actually did go back too sleep and woke up sometime later to the howling again. It was another one of those once in a lifetime experience that I have enjoyed on this trip. The Loons song on the lake just added to the experience.

Just in case you haven't heard a Loon's call, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpvTuMiJq1E

Ed brought out coffee in the morning before I left. I get to meet such great people.

Pics:
Crossing into Wisconsin

Osceola

Wisconsin has a ski resort?

Pretty dairy cows

I stopped, got water, charged my phone and took a nap here

Tent site at Ed and Jane's

My great host

Lake in Cumberland

No comments:

Post a Comment