Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Day 26 Wolf Point to Circle Montana

It was a good day for a bike ride.
I left Wolf Point with overcast skies and light rain. I actually enjoy riding in the rain as long as I can stay warm. Now putting the tent up in the rain is another story. Fortunately the weather cleared and that wasn't necessary tonight.

The scenery started changing quickly after crossing the Missouri River. So did the road conditions. I finally left Hwy 2 and headed south on Hwy 13 most of the day. Nice smooth road with rolling hills.

I met several cyclist today; one on a recumbent bicycle and one that the guy had made himself out of bamboo. Don't laugh he had ridden it from Maine. I told him to watch out for the Panda Bears in Glacier.

I got into Circle around 5:00. Again camping options were not looking good.  I decided to get some food and weigh my options.  I found a small restaurant that was open Me and three older ladies were the only customers.

I asked my waitress if she knew of any place I might could camp for the night. Bingo! She new exactly where to go. She actually gave me two options. One was a house around the corner that let cyclist say in their yard and the other was the city park on the outskirts of town. She said to be sure and ask the sheriff before camping at the park or he would arrest me. Sounded like she was serious.

I had already seen the sheriff's office so I headed that direction. I talked to the dispatcher and said she would let the sheriff know that I was there.

This a be the best free camping yet. Nice view, out of town, clean pit toilets, a hose for a bath and an electrical plug that works! Can life get any better?

Oh, I have been meaning to tell you about something that happened the night I stayed in the Saco city park.

I told you about the trains and how the ground rolled when they came by all night. The funniest thing happened early the next morning.

There was a sign that said "campers! Sprinklers come on at 9 pm. I thought that seemed a little late for the start time but I wasn't in a hurry to set up the tent anyway.

9 o'clock came and nothing. I set up my tent about 9:30 and thought no more about it. We'll at about 3 AM every sprinkler in the area came on. It sounded like my tent was in the middle of one of those water testing chambers. I was getting blasted from two sides.

About 30 minutes of sprinklers and I was still dry. Sleepy but dry. That was a night to remember.

Ok, pics from today:

Crossing the Missouri

Old school house

Jay came from NJ

Two scenery

Last two are pics of home for the night


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time! Need pics of the bamboo bike or it didn't happen!
    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a pictures of it! I'm still kicking myself. Good hearing from you buddy.

    ReplyDelete