Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day 38/39 -Pelican Rapids to Ashby then to Melrose Minnesota

9It has been wonderful riding on the  Central Lakes State Trail the last couple of days. No cars, nice little towns and of course great people.

I rolled into Ashby about 4:30 and was planning on going a little further just because the day and the trail was so nice.
I stopped in the little grocery store to get some chocolate milk and decided to see if there were any Warm Shower Host in the area. The town and scenery were really nice.  One host came up and I gave him a call. He said he would be glad to have me stay with them. Perry Butler and his wife Terry were the perfect host. Perry and Terry have a garage full of trikes and bikes. I had a great dinner with them and fun conversation.

I pitched my tent on the lake and got to see a million dollar sunset.

The next morning I had the pleasure of riding with Perry on his way to work. I rode Terry's trike while Perry rode my bike. I liked it a lot. Maybe there's room for one in our garage.

I met some wonderful people today. One gentleman I met will always be remembered as one of the highlights of my journey. Arlynn Johnson was born and raised in Brandon Minnesota. He has a strong faith in the Lord and it is evident in his demeanor and speech. I won't try to go into our entire conversation which lasted for over an hour but ask me sometime about it.  I'll be glad to tell you about him and the life he leads and the people he has touched with his life. Thanks again for breakfast Arlynn!
Here is a link to his business that he runs with his sons: www johnsonharvesting.com

There were many opportunities to meet new friends on this trail. Nice people.

I'm camping in Melrose city park tonight. There's supposed to be strong storms ...we'll see.

Pics:
Speed bump

Scenery

Camping at Perry and Terry's

Perry and Terry Butler

Me on Terry's trike

Frog with an attitude

Julie and her grandkids

Ti from Portland Oregon. On the rode for over a year. Going Portland to Portland.

Lake view

2 comments:

  1. Man you are cruising! I'm enjoying watching the scenery change nearly daily! Keep up the work buddy, and if you feel like swinging south a bit I will put you up for a few days ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Derrick,
    I am enjoying every day. I would love to stay at your place for a couple of days. I do think I'll getting that far south, but who knows!

    ReplyDelete