Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day 21 - Chester To Havre MT

I was singing that Jason Aldea song today while I was riding. The one about those fly over states. That song really hits home when you go through those little towns with populations of 59 to 300 people. You see how hard they work to raise food for us and how proud they are of the job they do.

They seem to be content with the life they lead. I stopped in several of the little towns along my route today. Everyone I spoke with was friendly and happy talk to me about their town.

The ride itself was the complete opposite of what I experienced yesterday.
The winds that had begun to change just as I stopped yesterday were still coming out of the North East today.  More crosswind than head wind, a little of both. It took 1hr 15 minutes longer to do 7 less miles today.

On this section of Hwy 2, the Montana DOT was not thinking of bicyclist when they planned the cutting of the rumble strips.  I totally under stand. Problem is that it's not possible to ride to the right of the white line when the strips take up the entire shoulder. Fortunately the truckers and locals obviously new this. They gave me more than enough room. The RV's were another story.  By the time I arrived in Havre, I was ready to get off that road take a shower and a nap.

I met a guy from Holland today who started in Chicago and is going to Seattle.
Always good to meet other travelers.

I'm camping in the county fairgrounds tonight. At first it was empty and I felt a little uneasy. I even took my bike into the showers with me, just to be safe. HA!

Slowly the place filled up so I'll probably sleep easier.

Zoie and Dan who I met at the hostel back in Washington are here now too.
It's good to see them again. We may ride together tomorrow. It would help for the three of us to swap taking the lead so that the other two could draft. We need to do about 75 or 80 miles tomorrow.  We'll see.


Pics for the day:

Wheat harvest

Movie theater in Joplin ..Alan:)

My traveling friend from Holland

Bike in the showers with the door locked (what a whimp)

Home for the night

Healthy dinner


"It is good to have a end to journey toward; but it's the journey that matters, in the end".

Ernest Hemingway



5 comments:

  1. You're such a foodie! I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only take pictures of the healthy stuff.
      No ice cream or Hershey bar pics.

      Delete
  2. Hey you. I love following you on your trip thru your blog. The pictures are awesome. I can't believe that you are finally doing this after planning and training for so long long. You go Durell. And how sweet that Cathy is on her own adventure in Italy. (And even biking a little :-). We'll definitely have to meet at La Hacienda when you both are back so I can hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marian,
    It's good to hear from you. Hope you get to go see Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying lots of prayers that I can make it happen and meet Cathy in Turin. Working on it now. :-).

    ReplyDelete