Sunday, August 17, 2014

Day 36 Fargo ND to Sabin Minnesota

I spent most of the day in Fargo. What a nice town. I really think that the people of North Dakota may be the happiest and most friendly people I have ever met. People would pull up beside me at traffic lights and ask if I needed a place to stay.  I took my bike by the Great Northern Bicycle Company to day just to make sure everything was good for the next half of my journey. They are located in an old train depot. Really cool shop. Great people that work there.

After leaving the shop I stopped and talked.to several more people on the bike path that led out of town.

I crossed into Minnesota about 7:30 PL and was planning on stealth camping somewhere on the east side of Sabin.

Sabin seemed like to nice of town to just pass through so I started looking for a place in town to camp. I went to the fire station and talked to Norm about staying at the city park. Norm called the mayor to see if it would be OK. The mayor said that it would be fine. I talked to Norm for awhile and got a tour of the station.

The town was having a fireworks display at nine so I went and sat with the guys from the fire station to see the show. Good group of guys.

I'm back at my home for the night now. The pavilion at the park across from the mayor's house.  I liked the hotel last night but I love being back in my tent and back on the road.

Tomorrow should be a nice ride based on what people in the area have told me.

Pics of the day:

Neighborhood street in Fargo

Along the bike path

Bike shop in Fargo

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful town! So glad you're meeting such nice folks and I'll bet the guys at the fire dept. were surprised to learn you are a fellow firefighter from the South!

    I'm sure learning a lot about agriculture in the U.S. Now I know where those sunflower seeds the baseball players, birds & (chipmunks in my back yard) get their supply from. They should have added them into the song, America The Beautiful, they're more gorgeous than the wheat fields (tho I must admit, those pictures of them are a spectacular sight to behold).

    Farming has surely changed from my childhood farm days. How in the world do you even GET INTO those monster green things! Lots different from the red rusty Allis Chalmer we used to have w/no air conditioning or music piped in like those in your pictures. When I visited Sonia & Chris yesterday, I got to see soybean fields & some cotton, but nothing on the scale that you are encountering. Course, I suspect our Allegeny Mt. foothills that you love to camp in, kind of hamper the flatland planting you are witnessing.

    Glad you found such a unique bike shop to take care of Fancy, what a beautiful place. Do they have eagles in Minn.? Watch your head & stay awake!! Be safe, Mama Jan

    ReplyDelete