Sunday, August 10, 2014

Day 29 - Medora to Richardton (Assumption Abbey)

Wow! Today was a day for "Once in a lifetime events". But I'll get to that in a minute:)

Last night was a beautiful full moon. I wanted to leave the Rainfly off but the dew is just to heavy. The Coyotes woke me up one time. I got up to listen to them and see the moon reflecting on the river below. I wanted to take a picture but it have been a poor attempt of capturing that moment.

I woke to a heavy fog in the valley this morning. It was nice to look down on it as I rode up and out of the park.

I had a good breakfast at the Cowboy Cafe and the saddle up for a long ride.
I couldn't get the Deadliest Catch theme song by Bon Jovi of my head all day. HA!

I stayed on I-94 for awhile today even though the route was supposed to be on old Hwy 10. Hwy 10  had more hills and the road surface is ruffer which really slows you down. I needed make about 70 miles today.

I-94 offers something Hwy 10 can't,  an artificial tail wind. It comes in the form of Tractor Trailer's ,RV's and passing auto's.  Every time they come by you get about 15 seconds of draft from them. 94 was busy today so it really helped.

I did get on Old Hwy 10 just outside of Dickenson and it was beautiful. Dickinson itself has suffered from the growth problems that the drilling has brought to this part of ND. 

Ok now for the "Once in a lifetime events".

Firstly, I was passing though Taylor which is a small town about 8 miles west of Richardton. I heard a hawk calling and started looking for it. They normally sit on the hay rolls looking for prey.  I didn't see her but she sounded really close. Next I heard a loud screech and looked around just in time to see her talons coming at my head!  I threw my hand up to protect my head and she veered off.  I thought my hat must have looked like a meal or something. Wrong! She came back again and I started slinging my hat at her and yelling. Good thing there wasn't any traffic because I was all over the road. This happened one more time before she stopped the strafing attacks. She followed me for about a hundred yards before turning back. 

I sent Mathew (my friend that I shared a hotel with a few nights ago)  a text about the hawk a few minutes ago. He said she did the same thing to him when he pass through. He even got video. 

I made some fast time for awhile after that, Adrenaline rush. Which was good because I needed to get to my next "Once in a lifetime event". 

I wanted to stay in the Abbey in Richardton tonight. I had heard that they let bicyclist stay with them if you ask. 

I arrived at the Abbey around 4:30. The visitors center was closed and the front doors were locked. So, I went around back to see if I could get in and find someone. I was told by other cyclist to just keep trying doors till you found an open one and then ask for Father Odo. 

I got in and found a woman preparing food for the monks in the kitchen. She told me where to look for Father Odo. He was very warm and welcoming when I found him. 

He said of course you can stay with us. Father Odo said they were having their evening worship in 15 minutes and he would show me  to my room after that. I asked if I could attend the service and he said sure. I washed my face quickly and went to meet him in the church. 

I thought I would be sitting somewhere to the side and watching. That was not the case. I was sitting with all the other monks. He showed me the songs we would be singing and told me when I should stand and sit. It was amazing. I really enjoyed singing with them. 

After the service Father Odo said we were going to dinner now. What a treat. Good dinner and good conversation. Father Odo has been here for 54 years. He has lived in this town all his life. 

After dinner he took me to my room, showed me the showers and laundry area. I have the entire basement to myself. The room is modest and clean. Just what I would expect. 

Before leaving he said that breakfast is at 7 and it is in silence. 

I'm finishing this post on Monday morning. It's really cool  I woke yesterday to the sounds of the river and the animals near by. Today I woke to the sound of pray and singing. Amazing. ...

Pics.

The Abbeys farm

My room

Outside my room

The Abbey

7 comments:

  1. There is an appointed time for everything, a time to be silent and a time to speak. Ecclesiastes 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my buddy. It's good to hear from you. You would have loved the Abbey.
      Thanks for keeping up with me.

      Delete
  2. Matt Stephenson12 August, 2014 08:06

    Caley told Lauren and me about your journey last night on Skype. Man, what a trip! Can't wait to follow the blog and see where your path takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matt,
      Good to hear from you. I think Caley said you guy's are in Athens now. Hope you're liking it and the new job.

      Thanks for following.

      Delete
  3. Holy Smokes, an agitated hawk...sure glad you were wearing a helmet! Glad it wasn't one of those buffaloes from those gorgeous pictures you have posted. North Dakota sounds like a biker-friendly state and is offering more neat places to camp than wheat fields w/bugs. The Abbey sounds really awesome, didn't realize there were orders of monks in the U.S. who still practiced the "Old World" worship ways. How neat to experience their life of sacrifice and caring. Each turn of the wheel is bringing you to some unique places. Be safe. Mama Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hay Jan,
      It was great to stay at the Abbey.
      A beautiful place that is hard to describe.

      Delete
  4. Oops, I made a boo-boo! Was rereading your blog and realized you had on a HAT, not a helmet, my bad! Glad she gave up and left you unharmed. MJ

    ReplyDelete