Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Day 79 North Edgecomb to Belfast Maine

My last couple of days are here. What a wonderful experience this has been. Each day still continues to bring new friends, challenges and surprises.

I was on Hwy 1 for awhile today. 


One is the busiest Hwy that you ever new. Two could be as busy as one. It's the busiest hwy since the number one:)


I know that was bad but I had that song in my head all day.

Hwy one really is crazy busy. I met two ladies from Austria today that were touring. They flagged me down to ask how to get off of this busy road. They were amazing. They started their tour in Nova Scotia and were going to DC I think. They just had road maps to go by. They were both in their early to late seventies.

The weather was cool and overcast today with rain to start the day. Once I get wet in the morning it's hard to get warm the rest of the day. I stopped into McDonald's around 5PM to get food, coffee and look for a place to stay tonight.  I called a campground about 4 miles away to check on pricing. They were 10 bucks with hot showers. That's a deal!  I noticed as I was going heading down Hwy 1 to the campsite that I had some bouncing in my rear tire. I couldn't hardly believe it. After 4300 miles without a flat, I had first less than 60 miles from the finish.

I shouldn't have been to surprised though. Several times today I had the choice of hitting a hole, being hit by a car or riding through road debris.

I pumped it up with hopes that it would get me to the campground. It did and I found that something had cut into the tire and the tube. I changed tube and it's good to go for the final few miles.

I also met Sal today. He is camping here and touring. He has ridden coast to coast before and is now doing a short two week trip.

Cathy is coming to meet me tomorrow in Bar Harbor. I can't wait.

Pics


No comments:

Post a Comment