Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 73 and 74 New Hudson NY to South Royalton VT

My last day in the Adirondack Mountains was beautiful. It started off funny. It was about 7 am and still a little dark because of the fog. I was just opening the door to leave the Yogi buildiing I stayed that night and at the same time there was a lady opening the door to come in.  I don't know who jumped more, me or her. The fist thing she said was CAN I HELP YOU!  You could tell being helpful at the moment was not exactly what she had in mind. Running or fainting would have been a more realistic response.  It turned out that she was the lady that helped out during the summer with Yogi World and she had no idea that I was even in the building. She finally sat down on a bench and just kept on saying " Oh God bless you...you scared the Hell out of me ... Oh God bless you...you scared the Hell out of me". That kept me smiling for miles down the road.

This area I'm traveling through is a history lesson around each bend. I passed through Ticonderoga and went by the fort but didn't stop for a tour. I was too excited to be getting into Vermont. It felt as if my bike was going to take off without me if I didn't just get on when the ferry touched the Vermont side of Lake Champlain. Vermont is where Cathy and I spent our honeymoon and it has always been a place we love to visit. The small towns are beautiful and I enjoy talking with the people there.

The hospitality of the Vermont people was demonstrated the first night I arrived. I was in East Middlebury looking for a place to camp when I ran into Brook Berry who was just finishing her bike ride she had been on that day. After talking for a few minutes she invited me to pitch my tent in their backyard. I met her son's (Quinn and Willem) and husband (Pat) when we got to their home.  They treated me like an old friend and made me feel at home. I enjoyed sitting on the front porch and talking with Pat and the boys.  Really awesome people.

The climbing started today. What the Vermont mountains lack in altitude they make with an In - your - face attitude. A 12 percent grade or more is common.

Tonight I'm staying with Ian Altendorfer. Ian is a Warm Showers host and a third year student at the Vermont School of Law that is in town.  Again, another person that just opens their home for a stranger and makes them feel at home.

Tomorrow some good climbs, great towns and into New Hampshire.

Pics:

Adirondack lake

Going down the hill into Ticonderoga

Ferry dock to Vermont. To signal for the ferry you pull a cord that raises a metal flag. This ferry has been in operation since 1759.  It is guided by cables that stretch from one shore to the other. 

Vermont is in sight

The Berry family 

The Way Berry Inn. Operating as an Inn since 1810. The Bob Newhart used this Inn in filming. 

Beautiful old bridge

Robert Frost interpretive trail

An appropriate poem by Frost

Scenery

Rochester Vermont. I met Lou and Linda Demaio here. They have a cabin in Center Sandwich, NH and invited me to stay with them if I came close to there. Very nice couple. 

The road ahead. This is the last map I have. The end is near.....for this journey:)





No comments:

Post a Comment