Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Day 72 Raquette Lake to New Hudson NY

Well I wanted to make it into Vermont tonight but that did not happen.
I slept in this morning. Not wanting to get out of my warm sleeping bag. Last night was not the best for sleeping.
Wind, coyotes and low temperature made for a less than restful night.

Light rain to start the morning and cold. I cooked some oatmeal, grits and coffee before getting out of my sleeping bag.

I made a couple of stops today for coffee and food. In Long Lake I had an omelet hash browns toast and coffee. I was getting ready to leave but I was still hungry so I sat back down and got a bowl of oatmeal and more coffee.  I was finally getting dry, full and warm.

I'm  camping in an unusual place to say the least tonight. It's called JellyStone campground and like many things in this area, it seems to have seen it's glory days in the 50's or before. Maybe its just the time of year and the rain. I'm the only person in the place besides the owner and his wife. Maybe its his mother. I think his names Norman:)  But the showers were really hot and I get to sleep in the Yogi craft building.

Pics:

Moose Lake

Down the road

River in Blue Ridge

Home for the night

Just chilling with Boo Boo

Inside the Yogi Barn

5 comments:

  1. Love the many colors of the trees. I'm way overdue for a trip back to New Hampshire so I'm missing the leaves changing colors. You're pictures are awesome, Durell. And your stories, too. You and have Cathy have had two most amazing adventures this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I've found you too late for this message. Looks like you might already have passed Ticonderoga, NY.

    When I first went to work for BE&K Const. in B'ham in 1988 (gosh!, that was 26 yrs. ago!), this was the project I first worked on in the Engineering Dept. We were building a new paper mill in Ticonderoga, NY and I couldn't even SPELL it, much less find it on the map!!! Now, here is my son-in-law biking through it and bringing back all those old memories. Talk about FATE. If you happen to get this in time and can do so, take a pic of the mill for me.

    The trees in their autumn dress are really beautiful. The maple by my back door has about 20 red leaves so far here...our temp this morning was 51*. Really nice.
    God's Speed, Mama J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I forgot to say, I LOVE the BooBoo Bear pic, gotta have a copy of that one. He and Yogi were one of Cathy & her sister's favorite cartoon guys back in the day. Be Safe, Mama J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed the mill picture. We'll have to come back up.

      Delete