Monday, September 29, 2014

Day 77 and 78 Conway NH to North Edgecomb Maine

I am so glad that I started by journey from  Seattle rather than Maine. It very well may have ended before it ever really began. Whatever misconception I had about coasting into Bar Harbor after finishing the climbing in Vermont and New Hampshire was WRONG!

The climbing here is amazing. A days ride consists of one climb after another. Many of which I am down into my lowest gear. I would like to know the total elevation gain I've had since entering Maine. It is quite possibly more than the Cascades and Rockies combined,  seriously. My legs are sore again! I never would have believed that would have happened here. I am not complaining at all, just completely surprised.

The last two days have been filled with neat people and great things to see and do.

I went to the Fryeburg County Fair yesterday. It was really a lot of fun. The main thing I enjoy are the livestock exhibits but the had several things there that were very different from what you would see in the south.

The temperature was around 91 degrees yesterday. Hard to believe that last week I was riding in the 30's.

Last night I sleep beside the Danville Union Church. I was just going to ride till I got tired or a good place to camp presented itself. Well, they both happened at the same time.  I was going up another steep hill around 6pm.  I saw a man going into this little country church and asked if I could put my tent up in the back for the night. Mr. McDonald said it would be fine as long as I was gone before next Sundays service:). I said if my tent is still here by next Sunday I would someone to say a few nice words about me and he could have my bike. He said ....deal.
He was very nice to me and even came back about an hour later to see I needed a soda or anything out of the church.

Today started off with a search for a big breakfast. I found it and some good conversation about 12 miles down the road in Durham. Good group of old guys to talk about Moose hunting and logging with. 

What a change in the weather today has been. From sunny and 60's yesterday to overcast high winds and temps in the low 50's. 

Pics

Old mail sleigh

Great old outboard motors

Antique chainsaws

A close family

Feeding time

Down the road

Pretty foliage and lakes

No comments:

Post a Comment