Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 8 - Republic to Kettle Falls via Grand Forks BC

Well today was a great adventure. I'm glad I took the advice of the local cyclist in Republic. They suggested that I make the loop into Grand Forks British Columbia rather than go straight to Kettle Falls.

Taking this route accomplished several things. I didn't have to cross Sherman Pass. I was able to see some beautiful country  and somehow go down hill along the Kettle River all day.

I finished the day with about 75 miles behind me. They were some interesting miles. The Border crossing into Canada was crazy.  Two things I learned. You should stop behind the Stop Sign even if you're on a bicycle and no one is in sight and don't jokingly say, can I get a kids meal and ice cream cone when the agent comes to the window. Not good!

They took my passport and told me to take my bike over to what looked like the inspection area. I had visions of a cold north Canadian work camp in my future.
After about 10 minutes they returned my passport and only said, your good to go.

The rest of the day went much better.
I was on the side of the road in Grand Forks and a guy ( Rick) pulled over in his truck to see if I needed help with directions.

Rick told me about the Trans Canadian Trail that would keep me off the Hwy and take me almost all the way back into the US.  It turned out to be a blast. It felt like an epic adventure. See pics.

Trans Canadian ended just a few miles from the US Border. Everything went smoothly coming back in. It's amazing how quickly I pick up on things.

I met Nacho, Audrey and Matt a few miles back into the US. They were hiking from Glacier to the West Coast via the Pacific North Trail. I really enjoyed talking with them. They also have a blog that Nacho helps up for the group. (Pntbound.wordpress.com) 

Really good day. I'm cramping on Roosevelt Lake, just north of Kettle Falls.
Great people again showing random acts of kindness. I was given two bottles of Gatorade and two bottles of water by one of my camping neighbors and fresh home grown cucumber and Jerky to go with my Raman noodles by another.

Pics in order:

Border Crossing. .....:)

Trans Canadian

One of many cattle gates on the Trans Canadian

Next two trail pics

Wildlife

Nacho, Audrey and Matt

For Cass

Dinner from friends

4 comments:







  1. good Pictures! Wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you bring a snakebite kit w/you? REALLY praying for you now!!! By the way, is your life insurance policy paid up? Take care, I'm highlighting you on my Atlas. Love, your mama-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  3. Durell - This is awesome! Look forward to each new post and got my kids following you on a map. How about some info on your bike setup (like what you are carrying) and how you are using technology (smartphone? Charger?) the trip as you move along. Really enjoying it. Best of luck! jginn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beef jerky and cucumber sandwiches.....yum!! Looks like a blast buddy.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete