Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 7 - Tonasket to Republic

Wow! a week on the road already. The days are going by fast.

There is so much I want to tell everyone about my daily life while  bike traveling.
I know  what you're saying. He's only been on the road for a week how much is there to tell? Well , even though I'm only a week into this trip; there is the common thread that runs throughout my bike tours.  The generosity and kindness of the people I meet is overwhelming and the main reason I love this so much.  I'm beginning understand that it's not the people you are any different than they normally are.  It's that I've slowed down enough to be approachable, vulnerable and open to meeting people who don't appear to be like me.

Here are some other things I wanted to share about life on the road while bicycle traveling.

● Road Kill takes on a whole new meaning when you are going by at 3 miles an hour.

● Mosquitoes can fly 11 miles per hour.

● You can occasionally drink straight from a stream and not get sick. (Still not a great idea)

● Giant grasshoppers will not move if you put your tent on top of them. (Until 3 a.m.)

I didn't go into Canada today as I thought I might. Several reasons for the decision not too go.  I may still go tomorrow. I'll just have to see what works.

Wauconda Pass was the challenge for the day. It was about 3500 feet of elevation change from Tonasket.

It's still hot but getting cooler. I saw  people going by me today with trailers loaded with furniture  that they were trying to save from the fires. I understand that one town was  completely lost.

My legs feel like their getting stronger which is good, I'll need them for Sherman Pass.

Home for the night is Republic Fairground with a Christian Biker Convention.

Pictures taken today:

Town of Wauconda..One building. Post office , gas station, grocery store and restaurant.  The town was bought on eBay.

Wauconda Pass

View from bike path near Republic

Home for the night.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. I ave already been up hwy 21 and didnt have to peddle a lick. Now thats the way to travel. When you get to CanadaI hope this is waiting for you. Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delta pilots would be proud to call you one of their own!
    Be safe...have fun!
    Enjoying staying in touch through the blogspot! JGin PTC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the updates! Be safe!!!! Ed Landry

    ReplyDelete