Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 17 -Avalanche campground to St Mary

Well Logan Pass is in the rear view mirror tonight.

The climb up was challenging. It's a 6% grade for about twelve miles. I started from Avalanche campground which is about 4 miles from the start of the climb.

I set alarm for 4:30am to be sure I had time to make the pass before the 11:00 cut off for bicyclist. When the alarm went off I changed to plan be. Which was to pull the drawstring tighter on sleeping bag. At 6:00 I made self get up. I was on the road a little before 7:00.  So much for taking my time getting to the top.

The traffic didn't start to pick up until about 9 o'clock. Once the traffic picks up you have some steep drops on the right and wide truck mirrors on the left.  I opted to stay closer to the mirror side.

Actually I received some great encouragement from several other cars coming by. Also several of the cyclist that were passing me gave encouraging comments. Comments such as" aren't you a little old to be doing this and could you possibly get any more gear on that bike"? I'm kidding they were all very supportive.

I even had my own cheering section. A couple that I had met about 6 days ago were driveing up the pass and recognized my. It really took me by surprise to hear "GO DURELL" as I was nearing the top. It was great.

I made it to the top in 2 hours and 52 minutes.

Fun on top. Got to talk to several people about my trip. Good times.

Fast trip down until I got to the construction then things showed down quickly.

I'm staying in St Mary campground tonight which is just inside the park.

Met a nice couple from France who are touring for 1 to 2 years. The just came from Alaska.

Pictures are of the ride up, at the top, on the way down and home for the nite.

I'm heading up to Waterton  BC tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Wait a second...didn't I see those same mountains in previous pictures??? This isn't like that fake moon landing thing, is it??? Kidding...looks fantastic! What amazing, beautiful scenery! Sounds like you're having a great time! Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy, hope you're settling into the new home.

      Delete
  2. Hi this is Erika and Dean Cubba the couple who was fortunate to see you going up the mountain and coming down the other side. We are definitely cheering you on. Your pictures are beautiful. Going to be fun following you on your trip. Safe pedalling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinks guys, it was great meeting you and having a cheering section on the way up.

      Delete
  3. D, I'm still highlighting you on my Atlas maps spread out on the living room floor next to my computer. You w/soon be getting into Indian Territory & I hope they are still having their big "Pow Wow" going on that Steve (crankyspoke) blogged about. Bet that would be really interesting to see. Since you haven't posted any signs saying "Stryker, MT" on them...I guess it just sadly disappeared into the wilderness...surely was a beautiful place. Be safe, Mama Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I'm in the land of The Blackfeet, the Sioux and others. I didn't see a sign for Stryker. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

      Delete
  4. Durell..thanks for all the pictures. I so miss that place. Looks like I have to add something else to the bucket list - i think I'll use the other kind of 2 wheeler :) Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray Winchcombe02 August, 2014 12:17

    Hi Durell, I am the cyclist who just finished the Great Divide Mountain Bike route and visited with you at Avalanche Campsite. I also left my coffee cup on your picnic table that I retrieved the next morning. Glad to see you made it over Logan without traffic issues. I'll be following you along on your journey, so thanks for taking the time making the posts and sharing your pictures. This winter when you have time you can check out mine and Jerry's journal on crazyguyonabike.com; the title is: Trolling the Great Divide or Thereabouts. Be safe out there and enjoy! Ray W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ray, it was great meeting you. I'm glad you found your coffee cup. I thought you would come back for it.

      Delete
  6. What kind of bike stand is that?

    ReplyDelete