Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 14 - Libby MT to Rexford MT

Wow what a difference a good night's sleep, a long soak in the tub and a medium deep dish sausage pizza makes!

Today was one of the most enjoyable and beautiful sections I've done so far.

I left Libby around 8:30 A.M.  The route took me by Lake Koocanusa all day. The lake was named in a contest won by Alice Beers of Rexford MT.  The name was made from the first three letters of the Kootenai River, Canada and USA.

I rode 71 miles today in great weather.
There were 6 cars, 3 motorcycles and one couple coming from Maine on a tandem bike. That was it all day.

I took a picture of the elevation profile to give you an idea of of the climbs and decents done today. I also took some pictures of the maps I use from day to day. You can compare the climbing of today to what will be done when I get to Logan Pass in a couple of days.

One of the 6 cars that passed was a guy who slowed down by me just to ask if I needed any Gatorade or water. It happens every day!

I'm staying at Rexford Bench Campground tonight on the shores of Lake Koocanusa. A cold bath in the lake felt great It's supposed to be in the 40's tonight.

I was able to Skype Cathy, Cass and Wes tonight. First time since leaving Anacortes. The only thing that would make this trip better would to have Cathy ride with me.

Tomorrow I'll be in Whitefish then camp in Glacier before going over Logan Pass.

The first pictures  shoe the route I took today which was the westside alternate and the elevation profile of the ride for the next couple of days.

The other pictures are of the ride up to Libby Dam (which forms Koocanusa), the ride along the lake and the best spot on the lake for a cold bath.

Oh when I took the picture on the bridge, the winds were so strong that it made a constant hum from the railing.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing! You have a big climb ahead of you! You better be glad I not with you....haha. Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the climb buddy. I wish you had been here. It would be a blast.

      Delete
  2. Hello from Alabama. Still tracking you on my Atlas. The town of Stryker where Cindy & I stayed is not showing on either of those maps you posted. Wonder if it is still alive! We rode horses all thru those beautiful forests you are sending us pics of & enjoyed the hot tub at the B&B as well as the gourmet chef's cookin. So glad you got a taste of civilization w/the pizza & a "real" bed. Hope to see some posts of Whitefish when you arrive there, looks like a great stop. Keep peddling & be safe. Mama Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping up with me.

    I'll keep you update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again. Why did you choose the west side of Lake Koocanusa?

    ReplyDelete