Thursday, December 3, 2020

Day 7 Wild camp to Cedar Island Miles traveled 28/ Miles ridden (not many)

Last night's camping spot was wonderful! I was in no hurry to leave this morning. So I set up, wrapped my sleeping bag around me and made two cups of coffee before even thinking about getting out. Also the first ferry left at 7:30 a.m. The next one didn't leave until 1:00 so there was no hurry to get going. It was a nice ride form my camping spot into Ocracoke. I passed by the stables where the wild ponies are kept but didn't see any of the ponies. The ponies on the island are descendants of the horses brought over by the Spaniards. Back in the 50's boy scout troop 290 became the only troop to be a mounted scout troop. They would catch and break the wild ponies and teach them to eat hey instead of the natural vegetation. After you reach the national Park campground there is a bike path all the way into town. 
Ocracoke had some neat oddities. There's a British cemetery in town. Britain has a perpetual lease on the property and it's maintained by the Ocracoke Coast Guard. During world war II the British battled German u-boats off of the Outer Banks coast. 
The Ferry ride from Ocracoke to cedars island is only $3 for you and your bike. It's a little over 2 hour ride and I had most of the ferry to myself. Everyone else in the few cars that were on the ferry stayed in their cars. I assumed I was going to be riding for a while after I got off the ferry in search of a good camping spot. I arrived in Cedar island about 3: 46 and rode for about 15 ft! Leaving the ferry I decided to go into the terminal / info center and ask the ladies behind the counter about camping. They said I could camp anywhere here I wanted to. The beach, porch or picnic areas would all be fine and then leave the restrooms unlocked! Found my home for the night! Did I mention there's a seafood restaurant about 100 yards away. It's definitely not as quiet as last night but it's good. 
Pics of the day:
My ride to Cedar island
my private lounge area
home for the night
I've still got 127 miles to go! 
I better get with it or Cathy will have to get an Uber from the airport

No comments:

Post a Comment