Thursday, December 3, 2020

Day 6 Waves to a Wild camping site on Cape Hatteras seashore

I'm writing this blog one day later as I take the ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar island. . I ran out of phone service yesterday and then battery went completely dead as I reached my campsite  Another pretty cold morning for a start of yesterday's ride. The wind didn't really slacked up a lot but it come mostly as I cross wind all day  A very enjoyable ride. The traffic also died down considerably. I guess it's due to the fact of getting close to the end of the island. I had to catch the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke late yesterday. I didn't really think I would have enough daylight to make it for down the island. With that in mind I stopped by a grocery store and stocked up on food for the night. I filled my water bottles and spare bladder bag also. I found out that the fairies did not run yesterday because of the high winds.  The ferry ride was about 45 minutes and I arrived on Ocracoke around 3:45. I looked at my maps on the ferry ride and realized two things. One: I wasn't going to make the town of Ocracoke or the national Park campground before dark. Two: There look like some awesome possibilities for camping along the way. I was looking for two things in a campsite last night. I needed to be out of sight and out of the wind. The place I found was probably one of the best wild camping sites I have ever had. The pictures don't tell the full story. The site was perfect. Actually the whole night was perfect. The wind died down, The temperatures weren't as cold as the night before and the silence was amazing. There was no other noise besides the ocean and nature sounds. The night sky had more stars to be seen than I have seen in quite a while. I left my rain fly rolled back most the night in order to see the stars. I woke up around midnight and was actually too warm. So I took off everything I was wearing except a pair of light shorts and t-shirt. I realized about 3:00 that I had gotten a little overzealous with my clothing removal. I ended up putting most of it back on.  Here's a list of what I went to sleep wearing:
Padded riding shorts
long spandex pants
baggy riding shorts
Rain pants
socks
Neoprene riding booties
t-shirt
long sleeve spandex shirt
Medium weight zip up jacket
Rain jacket
Beanie
Buff neck gator
Mittens
The weather looks like it's going to be dipping into the 30s for the next couple of days so I imagine I'll be wearing this for the next few nights of sleep. 
Pics of the day:
Along the route
The only footprints were mine
dredging the canal
the seagulls followed us all the way across. Diving down when we came through a school of fish
Coming into the Ocracoke doc
Riding toward Ocracoke
I found my campsite

video of the campsite. You may have to copy and paste these links I send. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MiT3bPxzSXcVfg4cA


No comments:

Post a Comment