Friday, November 27, 2020

Day one - New Bern to Aurora 40 miles

Got to New Bern NC about 12:45. I was able to park my car at the Aerie B&B which we've worked at in New Bern in the past. I talked to John for a little while. John is the owner of the B&B. I got on the road about 1:45 maybe 1:30. I had hope to make it to you a state park about 52 miles up the road. But with leaving at 1:30 and sunset at 4:30, that didn't quite work out. The ride out of New Bern starts off with a bang. No time for warm up or settling in. Just jump right on highway 17 bridge going over the Neuse river. It changed quickly when I got to the other side.  I stayed on two lane roads which were mostly quiet for the rest of today. The traffic that I did encounter gave me plenty of room. I made it to the Aurora ferry in time to catch the 5:00 ride across the Pamlico River.  I rode off the ferry and started looking for options of a place to stay tonight. Didn't really like the idea of riding another five miles to the next town in the dark. The captain of the ferry boat (David) came over and asked where I was staying tonight. I said that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. David went inside and talked to the night guard on duty (Jason) and got permission for me to stay at the dock. It turned out awesome! I'm under a shelter with a picnic table and unlocked bathrooms thanks to Jason. This is my version of Glamping! I even have my own personal guard. 

Pics from today
Polliock Street in New Bern
This is the bridge I had to go over
I couldn't stop to take a picture so I used Google's of the 17 bridge
waiting on the ferry
link to ride over...I hope!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LuhQRBBDdnxVzVZR7

Glamping spot for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment