Thursday, September 3, 2020

Day 2 / mile 43 to 86

I won't be able to post this blonde till in the morning. We're camping at peaks of the otter campground tonight and no cell service here. 
It was a great day of riding for me and Charlie. We started off today in light rain which changed to a very hot sunny day and then change back to hard cold rain by the end of the day. Today's focus was on the 25 Mile climb we had ahead of us. We were on the bikes for about 9 hours today. The scenery is gorgeous here. Even though I have to admit portions of today I never looked past my front tire. By around the 65 mile marker I was just trying to keep the pedals moving. The summit of the climb was that mile 76. I didn't see Charlie today once we left James River. His bike has a little bit higher gearing and he climbs faster than I do. 
Several people offering water today and any assistance that we may have needed. I was glad that I brought my water filter. I was able to refill bottles wherever I found a good water source. 
It's nice to have a real campsite tonight. No showers but they do have sinks, toilets and bear boxes. 
Pics for today:
Starting out the morning ride
Our first tunnel
James River
Overlook where you can see the road we came from and the valley
Picture of the James river valley in the background
Starting into the fog just before the heavy rain. I wasn't able to take a picture during the hardest part of the rain but it was really cool and welcome


No comments:

Post a Comment